I close BIP27. I won't be pursuing BIPs anymore

ag0aep6g via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 18 11:15:18 PDT 2016

On 10/18/2016 07:51 PM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Andrei decided ages ago that he didn't think that having const ref take
> rvalues was a good idea and that he doesn't think that it's a big deal. I
> don't recall whether Walter has said much on the issue, but AFAIK, he hasn't
> said anything to contradict that, and Andrei has been very vocal about how
> rvalue references were a horrible mistake in C++ and that he doesn't want to
> see anything of the sort in D.

It would be great if we had detailed rationale articles for these
non-obvious decisions.

First, so that people get a nice prepared answer for why D is different.
I can't confidently spell out why D doesn't allow passing an rvalues in
a const ref parameter, and I suspect that only Andrei really can.

Second, so that the decision can be attacked argumentatively. Walter and
Andrei have been mistaken before, just like everyone else. It wouldn't
surprise me if some variation of the feature was feasible, but it's hard
to even think in that direction when the reasons against it are buried
and scattered around in newsgroup discussions.