gdc in Linux distros recommended?

Dejan Lekic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 19 03:21:43 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 at 23:02:28 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> I have a friend who has started writing a library in D.
>
> Although I recommended that he should use a recent dmd or ldc,
> he thinks gdc is a better candidate because it's "available to
> the masses" through Linux distros similar to how gcc is.
> Although he has a good point, the gdc that came with his distro
> does not even support @nogc.
>
> Thoughts? Can you please tell him to change his mind! :p
>
> Ali

For an example, Fedora's default repository ONLY has LDC, because
GDC is not yet merged into GCC. The reason why Ubuntu does is
because they have relaxed policy regarding GCC.

I think LDC is in most major distros, GDC is not, so LDC is the
clear winner here. I build GDC myself and use it on Fedora, it is
pretty straightforward, but I would recommend LDC to beginners.
Once GDC is merged into GCC, it is a no-brainer - GCC/GDC all the
way!