Binding rvalues to ref [WAS: I close BIP27. I won't be pursuing BIPs anymore]

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 19 18:04:29 PDT 2016

On 10/19/2016 5:26 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Right, I was arguing this for years. Using 'scope' to make the concept @safe.
> It seemed that it in the past the key reason for rejecting it was because it was
> unsafe to pass an rvalue-temp to a function where it's unknown if the function
> can cause it to outlive the function call... scope was the obvious resolution to
> that (along with a lot of other issues related to safety).

C++ has had two goes at rvalue references. Any serious proposal for that for D
needs to include an analysis of what went right/wrong with the C++ one, and how
the D one gets it right.

The only way to move this forward is to write a DIP. Having the various bits of
information spread out over various posts for months (years?) is never going to
work.