Binding rvalues to ref [WAS: I close BIP27. I won't be pursuing BIPs anymore]

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 19 18:15:20 PDT 2016

On 20 October 2016 at 11:04, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/2016 5:26 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>> Right, I was arguing this for years. Using 'scope' to make the concept
>> @safe.
>> It seemed that it in the past the key reason for rejecting it was because
>> it was
>> unsafe to pass an rvalue-temp to a function where it's unknown if the
>> function
>> can cause it to outlive the function call... scope was the obvious
>> resolution to
>> that (along with a lot of other issues related to safety).
>>

> C++ has had two goes at rvalue references. Any serious proposal for that
> for D needs to include an analysis of what went right/wrong with the C++
> one, and how the D one gets it right.

We're not talking about rvalue references...? I'm not sure where this
conversation got confused.

The only way to move this forward is to write a DIP. Having the various
> bits of information spread out over various posts for months (years?) is
> never going to work.

Like, 6 or 7 years ;) .. But I think we're talking about different things
at this point.