[OT] Re: Binding rvalues to const ref in D

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 19 23:38:12 PDT 2016

On 10/19/2016 07:04 PM, Chris Wright wrote:

> Right. For instance, binding query parameters with mysql-native. The
> thing you're binding is passed by reference and I'm not sure why.

It's been like that since mysql-native's original release, by the
original author, some years ago.

I suspect the idea was a rudimentary ORM-like approach: to have the
prepared statement params semi-permanently tied to actual variables (ie,
"bound" to them). Ie, so you could re-exectute the same prepared
statement with different values just by changing the values and calling
`execPrepared` again, without calling any of the bind functions again.

I'd have to check whether or not that usage pattern currently works though.