[OT] Re: Binding rvalues to const ref in D

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 20 13:32:08 PDT 2016

On 10/20/16 12:50 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

>> Yes, it does work. However, one thing that I *sorely* miss is the
>> ability to simply bind an individual value.
>>
>> At the moment, in order to bind a value, you have to pass an array of
>> Variant for all the values. I currently have a whole wrapper around this
>> library to make it more palatable, and to fix the lifetime issues.
>>

> You can't bind individual values? Is there something wrong with
> "bindParameter(value, paramIndex)"? (I mean, besides the fact that it
> takes a ref, and, like the rest of the lib, isn't really documented
> anywhere outside of the code itself.)

Yes, because bindParameter(myint + 5, idx) doesn't work. And this is
even worse:

if(x == 5)
{
    int y = 6;
    cmd.bindParameter(y, 2);
} // oops, y is now gone!

Or maybe this:

foreach(i, j; someRange)
{
    cmd.bindParameter(j, i);
}// now all are bound to reference the same non-existent memory

In order for Command struct to legitimately keep references to arbitrary
value types, you need to put the storage somewhere. This isn't very
conducive to how D programs are written.

Now, there is bindParameters(Variant[]), which binds the *value* stored
in each parameter to the fields. This was the only way I could do it
without having to allocate space for individual values. But you must
bind everything at once!

> I do agree though, mysql-native *definitely* needs an API refresh. (In
> fact, I just happened to post several issues regarding that yesterday,
> and another person posted one as well. I want to take care of this ASAP,
> especially b/c it makes sense to do so before fixing the near-total lack
> of docs, which is already in desperate need of addressing.)
>
> Since you've found the need to wrap the API, would you mind taking a
> look through the current list of issues I've tagged "api" (although I
> see several of them are yours), and post any thoughts or add any
> additional issues you might have? I'd like to address these things ASAP,
> and input from people who use the lib and have issues with the API would
> be highly valuable:
>
> https://github.com/mysql-d/mysql-native/issues

Honestly, the most egregious issue is the lifetime management. In some
cases, if you pass or copy resource wrappers, the destructor will close
the connection, or the above thing about having to allocate a place for
values so you can bind parameters without worrying about their lifetimes
going away. Wrapping mysql-native (which should be concerned mostly with
low-level stuff) so I can make more suitable ranges out of the data was
really hard, I ended up having to use RefCounted to make sure all the
resource handles didn't go away!

I'll take a look when I can. One other thing API-wise that is horrendous
is the handling of null parameters (especially when you have to insert
multiple rows with the same prepared statement, and sometimes you have
some fields that should be null). Nullable!T works awesome for vibe, I
think mysql-native should use that model.

-Steve