Why are homepage examples too complicated?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 22 06:46:58 PDT 2016

On Friday, 21 October 2016 at 23:08:06 UTC, Benjiro wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 October 2016 at 09:10:10 UTC, Chris wrote:

> O, that webshop that now needs a rewrite from zero, was a
> direct result of another outsource. Yay! And the client ends up
> paying ( again ) for that.

Some things never change...

> Unfortunately, bosses are bosses. Two senior PHP developers
> cost money ( hell, we are cheap, under payed ). They can never
> stop looking for money, while they trow money out of the door
> in one after another foolish scheme. Technically we are keeping
> the company afloat. *sigh*

Some things never change...:)

>> The real craftsmanship behind a website is mastering the
>> various technologies that don't work smoothly together (HTML,
>> JS, PHP, forms, requests, server side stuff, browsers, data
>> bases). Web design is 90% page logic, 10% inspiration.
>
> On this i kind of disagree. I can handle all the web techs with
> ease but you need people who can see things more in graphical /
> marketing / ease of use sense. We developers see a lot of times
> too much from our perspective.

I meant that the design can be fixed fast after having been
tested by users. It's not rocket science. A lot of it is common
sense, but design is what everybody sees, so it makes a bigger
impression on the marketing section. They don't care for the lean
data base design you might be proud of, they want a shiney button
that says "Book now" :)

> Its the same reason why i mentioned the whole examples on the
> front page. While i had more then one reason to skip D, the
> mentioned example was one of them. When people have choices,
> they make them very fast.
>
> Ali for instance, did a great job on his book. Its easy to get
> into, maybe a bit redundant from a more experience developers
> point of view but you quickly see the small details. Things you
> will simply look over without realizing.
>
> Stupid and simple example that will make every developer here
> think: "this Benjiro guy is stupid". *haha*

The thing is that it takes time to learn a language like D and
get used to its idioms. And as has been pointed out, different
newbies have different expectations. What you could do for D, if
you wish, you could draw up a syntax cheat sheet with one-line
examples.

1. String concatenation

`~` // writeln("Hello, " ~ "world!");

2. Array concatenation
3. Assoc array syntax

etc. I sometimes too get stuck on little things like that when I
have to work with a language I'm not familiar with ("." or "+" or
...)

Don't ask what D can do for you, but what you can do for D. I
ripped that one :)