State of issues.dlang.org

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 25 05:48:48 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 25 October 2016 at 03:17:02 UTC, Jacob wrote:
> I sort of feel that issues.dlang.org is an unmaintained mess.

I don't think its state is much worse than that of a typical
bugtracker for projects of this scale.

> Anyways for the site itself, it seems to be lacking features.

It is a standard Bugzilla instance. We do not develop the
software.

> When viewing issues as a list there isn't that much information
> about the issue, other than the summary.

You can create custom views for whatever task you have at hand.

> The "Product", completely useless, is D for everything on the
> site essentially.

We do not use many of Bugzilla's features. Support for multiple
products is one of them. (Also is it lacking features or having
too many?)

> The "Resolution", only ever seen it as "---", maybe it means
> something for closed issues but I haven't seen any closed
> issues.

If something is unclear, please refer to the Bugzilla manual.

> There's no, "needs work", or "enhancement" or any other
> description that can add to what the issue is or what it needs
> to have done to it.

The severity field has "enhancement" as an option.

> If it is a bit bigger of an enhancement and needs a DIP to add
> the functionality.

Feature requests that require a DIP do not belong on Buzilla.

> TLDR; The issue system in place right now needs to be removed
> and a better system with oversight put in place.

Err, no. Just because you haven't seen a Bugzilla instance
elsewhere doesn't mean we should replace it. The UI is a bit
90's, but otherwise it has served us well.