Linus' idea of "good taste" code

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 29 14:46:37 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 27 October 2016 at 16:14:03 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On 10/27/2016 07:12 PM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> On Thursday, 27 October 2016 at 16:01:26 UTC, Chris wrote:

>>> I wish I could! I wish we had DScript for browsers!
>>
>> I am hoping that when asm.js is more mature,  then we can use
>> the llvm back end to write at least part of front end in D.
>> Would need runtime ported of course.
>
> I consider native compiler from D to WebAssembly to be one of
> possible unique breakthrough points for D in coming years.

I asked Kai at dconf about what would be involved in porting to
wasm,  but I think he misheard me,  as his answer was just
generically about what was involved in porting to a new platform.

Any thoughts on how much work is involved to port the runtime?
And what other changes might be involved? The chap that used the
C backend for LLVM wrote a little mini runtime but I guess didn't
have to worry about the version blocks in the compiler front end
as much.   (don't recall what architecture he pretended to be
compiling to).

Glibc has obviously already been ported to run in browser by
emscripten.