Linus' idea of "good taste" code

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 29 23:39:42 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 30 October 2016 at 05:53:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/29/2016 10:30 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>> At the same time intended wasm spec
>> (https://github.com/WebAssembly/design) is
>> much more simple than machine code for something like x86_64.
>> If Walter gets
>> interested, that may be a feasible path :)
>
> I looked at it for 5 minutes :-) and it looks like typical
> intermediate code that a compiler might generate. It wouldn't
> be hard to translate the intermediate code generated for the
> dmd back end to wasm. What I didn't see was any mention
> symbolic debug information, linking, or how to connect to
> system services like mutexes, I/O, etc. Time risks would also
> be wasm is an incomplete, moving target.
>
> Looks like a fun project, but I don't see how I could split off
> time to work on it.

It is not worth it, the web is dying.  I was stunned to see this
chart of mobile web usage in the US:

https://mobile.twitter.com/asymco/status/777915894659964928

This isn't some third-world country with mostly 2G usage, the web
numbers in those places are much worse. Combined with mobile
passing even TV for time spent, there is no point in wasting time
porting D to a dying platform.