Linus' idea of "good taste" code

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Oct 31 02:43:04 PDT 2016

On 10/30/2016 07:53 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/29/2016 10:30 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>> At the same time intended wasm spec
>> (https://github.com/WebAssembly/design) is
>> much more simple than machine code for something like x86_64. If
>> Walter gets
>> interested, that may be a feasible path :)
>
> I looked at it for 5 minutes :-) and it looks like typical intermediate
> code that a compiler might generate. It wouldn't be hard to translate
> the intermediate code generated for the dmd back end to wasm. What I
> didn't see was any mention symbolic debug information, linking, or how
> to connect to system services like mutexes, I/O, etc. Time risks would
> also be wasm is an incomplete, moving target.

Well, "risk" and "opportunity" are pretty much synonymous in such
context :) Whoever comes first with easy to use toolchain for new
platform gets all the hype - it pretty much boils down to making
decision if one believes new platform is likely to succeed.

For now I am just keeping my track on relevant information to see where
does it all go.

> Looks like a fun project, but I don't see how I could split off time to
> work on it.

No argument here, it would be premature to pay much attention to it
anyway. I will probably remind you of this topic some time next year
with more information available so that more weighted judgment can be made.