Image of D code on Norwegian IT news site

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 1 02:06:47 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 1 September 2016 at 07:09:24 UTC, Bienlein wrote:

> Well, it seems that outsourcing to India is over. Now it's
> outsourcing to Eastern Europe. 2/3 of the developers in my
> company reside in a country in Eastern Europe. In my previous
> country that ratio was even higher. The CTO wasted a lot of
> money (because not talking to his people who would have told
> him) and then had to look for ways to compensate for the losses.
>
> I once followed a phone conversation between a C++ developer in
> India and C++ developers in Germany. The developer in India
> thought those in Germany were stupid and not getting it while
> the developers in Germany tried to explain to him that they
> were not stupid, but that he was missing some detail. Seems to
> me that outsourcing development in a very difficult language
> such as C++ does not work. But as what "simpler" languages are
> concerned such as Java or C# it is currently happening at full
> high.

So they're still holding on to this "new" strategy that has
failed over and over again. It failed in the 80ies when my old
man was in IT, it failed in the 90ies and it is failing again.
The bosses' dream of "24 hour coding" is not working. Apart from
communication problems, e.g. simple things like the language
barrier (accents of English), expensive errors have been
introduced due to the time gap, i.e. team A arrives at work in
the morning and finds that some things have been changed that
should never have been changed, and now the program doesn't
compile anymore (there are myriads of stories like that).

One of the most expensive (offshore) outsourcing "success
stories" I've heard of is the one by Ulster Bank (rumors have it
that it was an infinite loop in the update that was never tested
before being applied):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_RBS_Group_computer_system_problems

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/ulster-bank-receives-275m-fine-for-it-failure-3585612/

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240214081/Why-IT-outsourcing-is-increasingly-fingered-for-IT-failures-at-banks