Quality of errors in DMD

Wyatt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 2 08:45:24 PDT 2016

On Friday, 2 September 2016 at 15:12:48 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:

> This is an internal compiler error. It's not a standard way of
> reporting errors in D code. It means the internal state of the
> compiler is messed. Not much the compiler can do except crash.

On one hand, it's encouraging that he's been using DMD for years
and didn't know that.

On the other, though, considering he's been using DMD for years
and didn't know that, I think there's a cogent argument for
improving even ICE messages.  At the least, have them print
"Internal Compiler Error".

Taking it further, maybe actually point out that we'd appreciate
this being reported at $URL with an "ice" tag and dustmite'd
reduction.  Roll more details into a "So You Found an ICE" wiki
tutorial for the people who have (understandably) never done this
before (and link it in the error output as well).

-Wyatt