Quality of errors in DMD

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 2 14:16:02 PDT 2016

On 9/2/2016 7:26 AM, Ethan Watson wrote:
> That's 830 possible places where the compiler will give the user virtually no
> help to track down what (if anything) they did wrong.

assert()s are there to check that impossible situations in the compiler don't
actually happen. They are not for diagnosing errors in user code.

If a user sees an assert, it is a compiler bug and hopefully he'll submit a bug
report for it in bugzilla. There aren't many open assert bugs in bugzilla
because we usually put a priority on fixing them.