DIP1001: DoExpression

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 3 09:10:16 PDT 2016

On Saturday, September 03, 2016 17:20:28 Dicebot via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> DIP: https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1001.md
>
> Abstract
> --------
>
> A DoExpression do(x,y,z) is exactly equivalent to a CommaExpression
> (x,y,z), but doesn't emit a deprecation warning.

> First community DIP has just landed the review queue. Please express
> your opinion and suggestions - it will all be taken into consideration
> when the formal review time comes.

Occasionally, the comma expression is useful, but the reality of the matter
is that almost no one uses it, and from what I've seen, it seems to be the
case that just about only the only folks who read it correctly are the ones
who use it frequently. Granted, giving it a new keyword will make it harder
to use that functionality by accident, but it's still going to be confusing
to many folks. I think that we're much better off just killing it off. It's
not getting killed off just because there are folks who want to use commas
for tuples. It's being killed off because so many folks think that it's a
bad idea.

- Jonathan M Davis