Quality of errors in DMD

develop32 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 4 03:46:25 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 at 10:33:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> As I mentioned before, assert failures are usually the result
> of the last edit one did. The problem is already narrowed down.

That's just not true in my case. Most of the asserts I triggered
were after updating to a newer compiler version.

I don't find -v helpful as it only points to a single haystack
out of many, I still have to find the needle. The backend source
is hard to get into, it would really help to know a little bit
more about the cause for the error.

One assert made me delay updating to a newer DMD version for like
a year. I was reluctant to make the bug report because of the
size of my codebase and inability to make a simple test case, I
didn't even know for certain which function was the cause for it.
Certainly just stating that an assert was triggered in this and
this line of the backend is not enough?

Having more information would help create those bug reports.