Quality of errors in DMD

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 4 13:14:37 PDT 2016

On 9/4/2016 10:56 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
> This is short-sighted, for the reason I pointed out in my earlier post. How
> would you go about reporting an ICE for a 100k LOC test case without any idea
> about where to start looking?

I do that often. Binary search quickly reduces even the biggest code size.
Manually, or using dustmite which works amazingly well.

You can even compile with -v and which will give approximately where in the test
case it failed, which makes the initial paring down of source code even faster.

> They can create bug reports to help other people to do so, though.

The bug report I need is the assert location, and a test case that causes it.
Users do not need to supply any other information.

I do appreciate, however, when one of our team takes the time to look at such a
bug report and makes the effort to narrow things down, and even propose
solutions. But this is not expected of users, and the file/line of the assert is
self-explanatory to the compiler dev looking at it (at least as self-explanatory
as a message like "variable x was not 3 like it was expected to be".)