ADL

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 4 17:50:00 PDT 2016

On 9/4/2016 2:36 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> Declare-call ordering issues for overload sets are not limited to local scopes.
> This problem needs to be solved anyway. The fact that the scope is local adds
> exactly zero additional complications.

I know that static if brings with it ordering problems. That's not a
justification for adding them to statements.

>> Besides, I showed a method of how the overloads could be done with the
>> existing language.
> That's not the point. What's perhaps more telling is that you initially got it
> wrong. It /wants/ to be valid code.

Maybe, but if I redesigned the language for every mistake I made, nothing would
get done.

My point with all this is ADL-workalike behavior can be reasonably done with
existing D core features available *now* in all 3 compilers. It means we don't
have to panic and rewrite the compiler right now - Manu can use these techniques
and get his work done, even though it isn't quite what he envisions. He's not
dead in the water.