Usability of D for Visually Impaired Users

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 5 02:14:12 PDT 2016

On Monday, 5 September 2016 at 05:20:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/4/2016 5:15 PM, w0rp wrote:
>> A noble goal. The trick is probably all in careful use of
>> markup. alt tags, aria
>> text, tab ordering. You can probably test various pages on the
>> site by listening
>> to the output of screen readers.
>
> The thing is, I have no idea how experienced screen reader
> programmers do things. So we kinda need their help, rather than
> us naively trying a reader. If I was building a race car, I
> wouldn't ask a newbie driver to give me feedback on how it
> handles!

I second wOrp. While it is true that a person with normal sight
has no way of knowing how screen readers are used (believe me
it's pretty impressive), I know from my experience with working
with visually impaired people that the best thing is a proper,
clean and simple markup and _no_ fancy stuff like Flash, heavy
use of JS and the like. Most screen reading software can parse
and handle HTML very well. So the first priority is proper
markup. Then one can fix the few glitches left with the help of
the `aria-label` property.

A blind user I worked with used D for a term paper and he could
find his way around on dlang.org. So it seems to be pretty ok
already. We should only be careful with new stuff like language
tours and tutorials. They should all be marked up properly and
have no buttons or links that are invisible to screen readers.