Usability of D for Visually Impaired Users

ag0aep6g via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 5 05:24:37 PDT 2016

On 09/04/2016 10:01 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> It is our ethical duty to make D and dlang.org usable for visually
> impaired programmers. If any of you are visually impaired, or have
> programmer friends/colleagues who are, a review of what we can do to
> improve would be appreciated.

As I've worked on the website quite a bit, here are some things we're
already doing for accessibility:

* We use proper markup: headings, lists, etc.

* The site adapts to zooming and large font settings, using the same
mechanism as for small windows/screens.

* We're keeping the traditional underlines on links to help color blind
people identify them. Though we did remove the underlines in menus and
such. We hope it's obvious that the text can be clicked there.

* We have fallbacks for (I hope) all the JavaScript functionality.

Regarding screen readers, I don't know if anyone has tested the site
with a screen reader. I haven't. Overall, we have relatively simple
content. So I'd hope that dlang.org is at least usable. Unfortunately,
the page with the most eye-candy and dynamic features is the home page.
So the first page someone opens is probably the most difficult to
navigate with non-visual tools.