Quality of errors in DMD

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 5 08:55:16 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 at 20:14:37 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/4/2016 10:56 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
> The bug report I need is the assert location, and a test case
> that causes it. Users do not need to supply any other
> information.

So, if we assume the user cannot debug if he hit an compiler bug,
I as a compiler developer would at least like to receive a report
containing a simple number, to identify which of the 830
assert(0)'s in the code that I deemed to be unreachable was
actually hit.

Because even if I don't receive a reduced testcase, I have a
strong hint what assumption I should re-think, now that I know
that it is effectively NOT unreachable.

Could we agree so far?

SO what problem would it be to give the assert(0)'s a number each
and print out a message:
"Compiler bug: assert #xxx was hit, please send a bug report"
?