Usability of D for Visually Impaired Users

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 6 02:28:11 PDT 2016

On Monday, 5 September 2016 at 20:59:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/5/2016 2:14 AM, Chris wrote:
>> A blind user I worked with used D for a term paper and he
>> could find his way
>> around on dlang.org. So it seems to be pretty ok already. We
>> should only be
>> careful with new stuff like language tours and tutorials.
>
> This is good to hear. But with constant changes to dlang.org,
> it can be very easy to slip away from that, especially with all
> the pressure to "modernize" the look-and-feel with crap. We'll
> need constant vigilance!

I agree, the webpage should comply with accessibility rules
consistently and not fall foul of flashy design when adding to
the homepage.

As regards the zoom: most browsers handle the zoom very well
(Ctrl+'+') these days. Visually impaired users often use the zoom
that comes with the screen reading software or the inbuilt,
OS-specific zoom (cf. Apple's Voice Over, Windows also a zoom as
far as I know).