Taking pipeline processing to the next level

Wyatt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 6 08:54:42 PDT 2016

On Monday, 5 September 2016 at 05:08:53 UTC, Manu wrote:

> A central premise of performance-oriented programming which I've
> employed my entire career, is "where there is one, there is
> probably
> many", and if you do something to one, you should do it to many.

 From a conceptual standpoint, this sounds like the sort of thing
array languages like APL and J thrive on, so there's solid
precedent for the concept.  I might suggest looking into
optimising compilers in that space for inspiration and such;
APEX, for example: http://www.snakeisland.com/apexup.htm

Of course, this comes with the caveat that this is (still!) some
relatively heavily-academic stuff.  And I'm not sure to what
extent that can help mitigate the problem of relaxing type
requirements such that you can e.g. efficiently ,/⍉ your 4 2⍴"LR"
vector for SIMD on modern processors.

-Wyatt