@property Incorrectly Implemented?

Lodovico Giaretta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 7 02:44:35 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 at 09:34:12 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> There are certainly some operations that we could better
> emulate with @property functions that currently don't work
> without returning by ref (like ++ or -=), but something like
> taking the address of the @property function simply isn't going
> to work in most cases, and neither is passing by ref.
> Basically, only stuff that can be lowered to calls to the
> getter and setter @property functions is going to work.
>
> It's nice that we can have property syntax rather than having
> to have functions that start with get and set, but it really
> doesn't work to fully emulate variables.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

BTW, some time ago, in another thread [1] about properties, we
ended up writing this wrapper [2], which does a pretty good job
at simulating fields. In the original thread you can also find
other variants of it.

[1]
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/okmgnrhdoeciovrfjmaj@forum.dlang.org
[2] http://pastebin.com/38n0fEtF