We need to enhance the standard library!

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 7 08:22:01 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 7 September 2016 at 05:58:37 UTC, Brian wrote:
> Standard library thin! The lack of a lot of commonly used
> functions! For example, HTTP client, database abstraction
> layer, mail delivery, Mathematical calculation standard library.
>
> We can refer to the implementation of some of the standard
> library golang/java/rust, so that the whole language active up:
>
> Https://golang.org/pkg/
> Https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/
> Https://doc.rust-lang.org/std/

1. When you say "We need to", I assume that means you have some
open pull requests or are working on some, right?

2. Everything but the math library is extremely prone to change
within a couple of years and is therefore not really a good
candidate for standardization. There's a reason that there are
three different ways to connect to a MySQL database within the
PHP standard library: they tried to standardize something that
shouldn't really be standardized.