Templates are slow.

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 9 05:09:32 PDT 2016

On 9/8/16 6:57 PM, Stefan Koch wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have some more data.
> In the binderoo example the main time is spent in the backend.
> generating code and writing objects files.

If we ever get Rainer's patch to collapse repetitive templates, we may
help this problem. https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/5855

> The front-end spends most of it's time comparing strings of unique
> type-names :)

I thought the front end was changed to use the string pointer for symbol
names as the match so string comparisons aren't done?

Hm... maybe to intern the string? That kind of makes sense.

I just had a thought. If you hash the string, and then compare the
length of the string and first and last character along with the hash,
what are the chances of it being a false positive?

-Steve