Use of StackOverflow

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 9 06:12:54 PDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-09-08 at 06:22 -0700, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Thursday, September 08, 2016 09:54:16 Russel Winder via
> Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> >
> > Do people operate on StackOverflow for D questions and answers?
>
> Yes. D is about the only reason that I pay attention to SO anymore.
> There
> are several folks who post here who answer D questions on SO, and
> there are
> typically at least a few questions a week to answer. I would think
> though
> that it would be more effective for folks to ask questions on
> D.Learn,
> because there are more people there to answer, and plenty of folks
> who post
> here don't pay attention to SO. But there are folks answering
> questions on
> SO for those who don't come to D.Learn to ask them.

If D.Learn were to shift to SO, there is the possibility that D would
get more presence in the programming world generally. Personally I have
never really contributed to SO, but (sadly) I am beginning to see the
benefit of having material there. Google and Bing do much more in the
way of indexing there than they do of the D mailing lists.

(The Chapel folk are trying to make a push to get as much of their
D.Learn equivalent material on SO and it is already showing benefit.)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk