colour lib needs reviewers

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 12 05:07:52 PDT 2016

Am Mon, 12 Sep 2016 11:31:13 +0000
schrieb Guillaume Chatelet <chatelet.guillaume at gmail.com>:

> On Monday, 12 September 2016 at 04:14:27 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > I think I'm about as happy with my colour lib as I'm going to
> > be. It really needs reviews.
> >
> > I added packed-RGB support, including weird micro-float and
> > shared-exponent formats.
> > They're important for interacting with any real-time rendering
> > libraries.
> > There is only one texture format I'm aware of that isn't
> > supported,
> > and that is u7e3 floats, only available on Xbox360 ;)
> >
> > Chromatic adaptation functions are in.
> > I've done a tidy/reorg pass.
> >
> > I'm not sure what else should be in the scope of this lib.
> >
> > PR: https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/2845
> > dub: https://code.dlang.org/packages/color
> > docs:
> > http://dtest.thecybershadow.net/artifact/website-04a64e024cf75be39700bebd3a50d26f6c7bd163-7185c8ec7b15c9e785880cab6d512e6f/web/library-prerelease/std/experimental/color.html
> >
> > - Manu
>
> And also, do you handle limited (16-235) to full dynamic range
> (0-255) conversions?
>
> It's a setting some acquisition/graphic card allow.
> https://wiki.videolan.org/VSG:Video:Color_washed_out/
>
>  [...]

Practically all video content is encoded with the limited
range, from VHS to HDTV, IIRC and HiFi equipment uses it as
well, only computers are not so familiar with it and when
connected to a TV over HDMI one or the other may think that
the other part thinks ... well colors are often washed out,
in effect.
On the other hand this luminance compression can apply to any
color format, so it is probably best to leave it to the user
to compress colors if the output is a video file.

--
Marco