colour lib needs reviewers

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 12 18:11:43 PDT 2016

On 13 September 2016 at 08:51, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 9/11/2016 9:14 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> I think I'm about as happy with my colour lib as I'm going to be.
>> It really needs reviews.
>

> I have zero expertise in color programming, and have no idea what a color
> library might do or what it would be used for.
>
> I looked at the front page of the documentation. I would like to see some
> sort of explanation of who, what, where, why and how of a color library.
> Like what is a color space, etc. Maybe add some links to explanatory
> Wikipedia pages?
>
> "Set of colors defined by X11, adopted by the W3C, SVG, and other popular
> libraries."
>
> Would be a great place to add clickable links for the relevant X11, W3C,
> SVG, etc. specification pages.
>
> It really, really needs a "References:" section, with links like:
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model
>
> Are there any definitive books on the topic?
>
> What is a BGR color type? What is a UV color type? What is a UVW color type?
> What is an alpha color type? What is luminance?
>
> "This module implements HSV, HSL, HSI, HCY, HWB, HCG color types."
> "angular color spaces"
>
> Some references to what these are would be nice.
>
> Contrast with:
>
>     http://dlang.org/phobos/std_regex.html
>
> where general information is given and links for more are provided (although
> that is weak and could be improved).

Okay. I'll work on this feedback.

> My last comment is what can I do with a color library that would not require
> some additional library?

With color, ndslice, and std.algorithm, you can do quite a lot of
useful image processing already.
But my point before was that I see this primarily as an enabler. We
really need a graph/plot library for instance! Also, multimedia
libraries will all become naturally compatible when the primitive
working type is defined in phobos.