ddoc latex/formulas?

Johan Engelen via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 15 02:50:07 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 at 11:36:11 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 9/14/16 1:50 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Can we produce formulas, or latex in ddoc? Are there any
>> examples in
>> phobos I can refer to?
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/blob/master/latex.ddoc
>
> That's the macros file for generating the language spec in
> LaTeX format.

I think what the man is asking for is a way to write formulas in
DDoc, regardless of output format. Foremost, the math should
display well on dlang.org.

If you look at
https://dlang.org/phobos/std_mathspecial.html#.gamma, there is
some math there. But then if you look at the DDoc source,
https://github.com/dlang/phobos/blob/master/std/mathspecial.d,
it's pretty terrible how to get it done, and it is very limited
(how would you get "sqrt(x+y)" to display well, or probably what
Manu wants, how to get matrix math to display well?).

A great addition to DDoc would be to allow LaTeX bits, like
doxygen does, and render it nicely for both web and PDF output.
You just mark a piece of text as <LatexStartsHere>....<LatexOut>.

On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 at 13:38:21 UTC, Manu wrote:

> I'm kinda feeling ddoc is fairy serious problem. Doxygen is
> like... a lot better :/

Definitely :/

-Johan