PBR for Audio Software Interfaces

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 17 16:49:59 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 17 September 2016 at 17:20:10 UTC, ak wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 September 2016 at 09:26:50 UTC, Guillaume
> Piolat wrote:
>> In this post, I describe the software renderer available in
>> Dplug:
>> https://www.auburnsounds.com/blog/2016-09-16_PBR-for-Audio-Software-Interfaces.html
>
> Nice article! Interesting approach, but this is imho the
> triumph of form over substance. Your GUI increases CPU usage
> from ~7% to ~50% (idle open editor window) to over 100%
> (interacting with gui) -- tested with demo of Panagement AU in
> Live. BTW nice puzzle game in the corner;). Does it somehow
> influence sound processing?

So I've done some measurements in Live 32-bit:

- Panagement: 5% audio processing 20% UI
- TDR Kotenikov: 9% audio processing 15% UI
- Compassion: 1% audio 4% UI
- Tritik: 1% audio 5% UI (though this one has no UI feedback)
- MJUC: 7% audio 18% UI

I'd say it's in the same ballpark of other products in the same
space. The more CPU conscious plugins to display tend to have
less visual feedback.

The numbers are better on Windows, I'm not sure why. I've
suspected different processors but there is maybe something else.

Note that these measurements were done on the slowest MacMini you
could buy in late 2012.