[WORK] std.file.update function

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 18 23:30:07 PDT 2016

On 2016-09-19 07:16, Walter Bright wrote:

> I'd love to design our own high speed formats, but then they'd be
> incompatible with everybody else's.

You already mentioned in an other post [1] that the compiler could do
the linking as well. In that case you would need to write some form of
linker. Then I suggest to develop the linker as a library, supporting
all formats DMD currently supports. The library can be used both
directly from DMD and to build an external linker. When we have our own
linker we could create our own format too without having to worry about
compatibility.

I guess we need to create other tools for the new format as well, like
object dumpers. But I assume that's a natural thing to do anyway.

Bundle that with something like musl libc and we will have our own
complete tool chain. It would also be easier to add support for
cross-compiling.

[1] http://forum.dlang.org/post/nrnsn7$1h3k$1@digitalmars.com

--
/Jacob Carlborg