[WORK] std.file.update function

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 18 23:53:47 PDT 2016

On 9/18/2016 11:33 PM, Stefan Koch wrote:
> However the maintenance burden is a bit heavy we don't have enough menpower as
> it is.

A major part of the problem (that working with Optlink has made painfully clear)
is that although linking is conceptually a rather trivial task, the people
who've designed the file formats have an unending love of making trivial things
exceedingly complicated. Furthermore, the weird things about the format are 98%
undocumented lore.

DMD still has problems generating "correct" Dwarf debug info because its
correctness is not defined by the spec, but by lore and the idiosyncratic way
that gcc emits it.

Doing a linker inside DMD means that object files imported from other C/C++
compilers have to be correctly interpreted. I could do it, but I couldn't do
that and continue to work on D.