Incremental obj generation

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 19 14:49:53 PDT 2016

Hi,

The previous thread "[WORK] std.file.update function"
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/nrmb6b$2lc9$1@digitalmars.com

quickly turned out to be a misnomer after a few posts about
object-file-formats and codegen.

Therefore I am opening this one.

Of course I do have something to say about the subject.

It is possible to generate object files (at least in coff64 and
elf) that are usable for a minimal modification maximal extension
scheme.

This is for example relevant for a techniques to reduce
template-codegen-times.

I am not sure if the impact on the glue-layer (the part that is
responsible for triggering object-code generation) will be a high
cost change or not.

Chances are that we will be able to integrate such a scheme with
relatively low effort.

If that is the case we should also think about better I/O
handling for such a case.