Scitools & D support?

Robert M. Münch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 20 13:54:18 PDT 2016

Hi, not sure if any of you know this "understand" tool from [1]? It's
pretty cool if you need to get into legacy or foreign code bases fast.
IMO it would be great if they would add D as well.

I'm not sure if I have the full overview about all libs, etc. that can
help parsing D code and/or rule sets for semantic, syntactic checks
etc. But I can imagine if we collect a good bunch of information for
them, the chances might be pretty high that it will be added.

They are currently supporting (from their web-site);

Ada: Understand supports Ada83, Ada95, Ada05 and Ada2012 code
separately, or in combination.

Assembly Understand currently supports Coldfire 68k and JIPSE MIL-STD-1750A

C/C++: Understand analyzes K&R or ANSI C source code and most
constructs of the C++ language. Understand works with any C compiler,
and has been tested with most of the popular ones. Note that C++
templates are now supported using the strict parser in Understand.
Objective C, Objective C++, C++11, and C++14 are also supported using
the strict parser

C#: Understand supports all versions up to and including 4.0.

FORTRAN: Understand supports FORTRAN 77, FORTRAN 90, FORTRAN 95, and
FORTRAN 2003 in both free and fixed format. Extensions supported
include Harris FORTRAN and DEC FORTRAN. We often expand Understand to
support common compiler extensions. If you find that the compiler
extensions you are using are not currently supported, contact us at
support at scitools.com.

Java: Understand supports most of JDK 1.3, 1.4, 5, 6, and 7.
Specifically, the generics introduced in JDK 5 are not currently
supported. Source code containing generics may be analyzed but generics
information will be ignored.

JOVIAL: JOVIAL73 and JOVIAL3 are supported.

Delphi/Pascal: Understand supports all versions of Embarcadero’s Delphi
language and Embarcadero’s Turbo Pascal language. It also supports ISO
7185: 1990 (also known as Unextended Pascal) with HP Pascal extensions.
You can also enable support for Ingres embedded SQL statements.

PL/M: The standard version for PL/M 80/86 is supported.

VHDL: We support VHDL-87, VHDL-93, and VHDL-2001.

Cobol: Understand supports COBOL 85.

Web Languages: Understand supports PHP, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. XML
is also a supported language that Understand provides several metrics
for: counts for total lines, code lines, blank lines, and comment lines.

Python: Understand supports Python Version 2 and Python Version 3.

[1] https://scitools.com

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com