[OT] my 10 minute talk about template-slowness

WebFreak001 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 21 09:11:04 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 at 14:32:25 UTC, Stefan Koch
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just recorded a draft for a talk about templates and why they
> are slow.
>
> I'd be interested in questions and improvement suggestions.
>
> I have uploaded it here :
> http://www96.zippyshare.com/v/dlNhyACZ/file.html

Interesting talk. Templates are indeed slow but the reason why I
use them over CTFE functions (or why i leave out ctfe in general
and just use functions) is that they don't require 20 GB of RAM
for some medium-simple tasks (liked Pegged)

Templates could be made faster but I don't really like losing a
feature or a possibility for it. imo D is very friendly and easy
to learn for newcomers, if a feature is slowing down things a lot
but making it a bit easier to learn/use, I would prefer to keep
that feature.