[OT] my 10 minute talk about template-slowness

Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 21 10:14:34 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 at 16:11:04 UTC, WebFreak001
wrote:

> Interesting talk. Templates are indeed slow but the reason why
> I use them over CTFE functions (or why i leave out ctfe in
> general and just use functions) is that they don't require 20
> GB of RAM for some medium-simple tasks (liked Pegged)

That can and is being fixed.
Templates can only be fixed partially and I am not even sure of
that.

> Templates could be made faster but I don't really like losing a
> feature or a possibility for it. imo D is very friendly and
> easy to learn for newcomers, if a feature is slowing down
> things a lot but making it a bit easier to learn/use, I would
> prefer to keep that feature.

I am not suggesting to remove templates.
I just want to raise awareness that they have a rather high cost.
CTFE performance is fixable. Template performance might not.