[OT] Punctuation of "Params:" and "Returns:"

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 22 23:17:13 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 at 18:26:15 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:

> ====
> Parameters:
> r | The range subject to partitioning.
>
> Returns:
> Something awesome.
> ====
>
> This is incorrect because one is not supposed to punctuate
> sentence fragments as full sentences. Next attempt:

This one. If nothing were ever to follow the fragment, I would go
with no caps and no punctuation. As that's not the case, then
this is the one. It's acceptable in English writing to break the
rules where it flows and improves readability than to force
something awkward out of conformity.

On a related note, I recommend anyone who frequently writes (no
matter the context -- software docs included) to read Steven
Pinker's 'The Sense of Style' [1]. It's practical advice for
modern writing that, IMO, does more to destroy Strunk & White (in
a respectful manner) than improve upon it. Basically, he
dispenses with dogma in favor of practicality.

[1]
http://stevenpinker.com/publications/sense-style-thinking-persons-guide-writing-21st-century