Unum II announcement

Nick B via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 23 22:14:33 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 at 16:03:22 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 03:44:48AM +0000, Nick B via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Monday, 15 August 2016 at 00:42:16 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> [...]
>> > Thanks to operator overloading and alias this, we can
>> > probably do a pretty good job implementing unums as a
>> > library so that people can try it out.
>>
>> It may be easier to link to the reference C implementation
>> first.
>
> Easier, certainly. But I think D may offer some advantages over
> a purely C implementation. It's worth exploring, at any rate.

For anyone interested, John Gustafson has posted recently a
Powerpoint presentation (dated 2 June 2016), which details the
failures (both technical and dollar wise) of Floating Point
calculations. At the end of the presentation, he details the
state of the current implementations (eg Lawrence Livermore
National Lab, and others etc), and the proposed implementations
in hardware!

http://www.johngustafson.net/presentations/UnumArithmetic-ICRARseminar.pptx

enjoy.

Nick