Interesting talk about language design and evolution

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 24 11:11:25 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 at 03:39:00 UTC, Martin Nowak
wrote:
> A somewhat lengthy but very interesting talk about the
> tradeoffs for language design and evolution.
>
> [CppCon 2016: Bjarne Stroustrup "The Evolution of C++ Past,
> Present and
> Future"](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wzc7a3McOs)
>
> In particular the part about direction
> https://youtu.be/_wzc7a3McOs?t=51m29s, and the section about
> tradeoffs
> for new features
> https://youtu.be/_wzc7a3McOs?t=30m16s.

Relevant is this list of C++17 features (many of which already
work in popular compilers).

http://stackoverflow.com/a/38060437/216300

I've got to admit, the D side of me is jealous of a few things on
this list. Structured bindings, init ifs (one of those "why did
it take so long to come up with this?" ideas), and constructor
IFTI. Not sure if it's in C++17 yet but the stackless coroutines
look nice too.

The baby steps toward CTFE are welcome, of course. It appears C++
still has a long way to go though.