Mir GLAS vs Intel MKL: which is faster?

Johan Engelen via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 26 12:21:31 PDT 2016

On Monday, 26 September 2016 at 18:27:15 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Monday, 26 September 2016 at 16:55:02 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>> I think we need to make it a point to support Mir in dmd. --
>> Andrei
>
> +1, even if it's slow.

I thought so too but if the algorithm is 50x slower, it probably
means you can't develop that algorithm any more (I wouldn't). I
think the common use-case for Mir is a calculation that takes
seconds, so 50x turns a test into a run of several minutes...
(defeating the compilation speed advantage of DMD)

It is easy to want something, but someone else has to do it and
live with it too. It's up to the Mir devs (**volunteers!**) to
choose which compilers they support. As you can see from the PR
that removed DMD support, the extra burden is substantial.