DIP 1002 (TryElseExpression) added to the queue

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 29 05:24:31 PDT 2016

On 9/28/16 6:50 AM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 at 10:45:11 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Assertions such as "makes the code cleaner" are likely to add value
>> only if backed up by evidence (case studies, realistic examples).
>
> This is based on my anecdotal experience. I also posted an example in
> the original thread which was included in the DIP.
>
>> Porting motivating arguments from other languages is helpful only if
>> put in the context of D, e.g. Python does not have "scope" statements,
>> which makes matters different across the two languages.
>
> It was already shown in this thread how scope statements do not achieve
> the same effect as the try/else statement; the point still stands.

Thanks, Jack. Here I'm solely focused on making DIP1002 stronger so I've
sent a number of suggestions that I believe would improve the proposal.
Although you are free to argue here that in fact the proposal already is
strong enough, this is not a "minimal requirements" setup in which a DIP
is good to go as long as it passes a checklist. The demand here is
elastic; the stronger the DIP, the better. Once submitted, if rejected,
the only way to propose a similar feature is by authoring a new proposal
with a completely novel perspective. So official review is an important
milestone with a high bar. -- Andrei