Linking D code into existing C programs

David Soria Parra via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 29 08:43:46 PDT 2016

On Monday, 26 September 2016 at 23:32:05 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> How much of an issue is this with D? Is it something we need to
> address?

I've run into this problem a few times and it took me a while to
understand how to correctly initialize the druntime (including
attaching pthreads), when I was implementing dfuse. This is not
necessarily only limited to using D from C but also from using C
libraries that create threads or do other funky things that the
druntime needs to be aware of.

It would be great to have a section in the documentation on how
to correctly initialize the druntime, which are typical pitfalls
(threads created in C land, callbacks into C, etc) and how to
correctly link druntime.

If we don't do this already we should offer a phobos.lib on
windows, and phobos.a on MacOS/Linux (the latter one i think we
do).