DIP 1002 (TryElseExpression) added to the queue

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 29 12:59:17 PDT 2016

On 29.09.2016 19:35, Walter Bright wrote:
>> A DIP should stay as far away from this kind of argument as possible.
>> Redundancy
>> of existing features should not be used as precedent and justification
>> for
>> adding another redundant feature.
>
> More generally, a problem with existing feature X is not a justification
> for introducing more instances of the problem.
>
> This line of justification occurs regularly.

I posit you often just misunderstand what the argument is: It's more
like: restriction A prevents B (B is what you think is bad), but it also
prevents C and D (which are desirable), however, it does not even
prevent E and F (which are arguably bad). Hence restriction A prevents
many valid use cases without even effectively preventing "bad" usages.