Watermark-based regression buster

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 30 13:13:26 PDT 2016

With https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4826 I've added a small
improvement to sort() and also a simple watermark-based way to avoid
performance regressions: count the number of comparisons done on some
predefined data patterns and make sure it stays at a specific watermark.

Whenever new changes are made, an assertion fails that either prompts
the user to update the watermark (yay) or verify why the number of
comparisons has increased. (There may be legitimate reasons for that.)

Currently we don't count swaps, but we should. Does anyone want to take
up on that?

Andrei