Exceptions in @nogc code

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 5 20:52:39 PDT 2017

On 4/5/17 4:44 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 April 2017 at 12:14:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> As a matter of procedure no, a forum post will not be followed by a
>> formal response. The DIP process ensures a formal response.
>>
>> [...]
>> I encourage anyone interested in pursuing this idea to work on a DIP.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrei
>
> To be blunt I played the DIP game in the past, never again.

Could you please point to the DIPs you have submitted? The only I know
about is https://wiki.dlang.org/DIP27, which is of poor quality. You
subsequently claimed you've invested significant work in it
(https://forum.dlang.org/thread/hlckdmbpdlbjldcfwovj@forum.dlang.org)
although the history of the DIP
(https://wiki.dlang.org/?title=DIP27&action=history) reveals only a few
small edits.

> This is very time consuming and nobody gives a shit.

Could you please watch the language. Thanks.

> You two just do
> whatever the heck you want at the end of the day. I'm just pointing I
> predicted the problem you are running into with your brilliant approach
> years before you realized it is a problem. You can decide to not listen,
> not really my problem.

It is easy to frame any issue at hand as a manifestation of a larger
problem.

> I wrote fairly comprehensive specs of the idea in various places,
> including in the ML you created for this very topic. I just can't be
> writing specs again and again for them to be ignored, that's just not a
> productive use of my time, and at this point I'd even say it's not very
> respectful to ask people to waste more time.
>
> I'm happy to work with you guy to come up with something, but I surely
> won't spend several days working a spec for nothing.

Thank you. If history is any indication, there is little to show after
years of being around the community. The pattern seems to be a
frustration that other people don't work on your ideas, which you can't
convince yourself to spend time on. People tend to work on their own
ideas, not others'. We don't have enough information to work on your
vision, so absent that we work on our own.

To avoid being in a continuous state of frustration, you may want to
take a risk and invest for real in your own ideas. They will have real
impact if they are good.

Thanks,

Andrei