Walter and Andrei and community relationship management

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 6 12:17:53 PDT 2017

On 4/6/2017 12:24 AM, Nick B wrote:
 > For the community, it seems different rules apply. In-depth news-groups
 > discussions for new proposals are firstly encouraged and then later discouraged,
 > with the ultimate
 > response that the proposal MUST be in the form of a time-consuming DIP, to be
 > considered, even if it will ultimately wastes everyone time, and cause
 > resentment in the community.

There's one big difference. The proposal I put forth is fairly complete, and I
am well along implementing it. deadalnix's requires a great deal of further work
just to figure out what it means - as presented, it is not much more than an idea.

Nor is it a simple idea. It will upend D's type system. It'll likely affect much
of the semantic code in the compiler, and will require a lot of retrofitting in
Phobos. Who knows how extensive that will be.

I don't know any language process that would accept it as it stands - it would
get bounced back with "needs more work". Somebody has to work on it to move it
forward - who do you propose should do it? We don't have a team anywhere whose
job it is to create detailed proposals based on other peoples' ideas (which
appear in the forum every day). Things rarely move forward unless a champion for
it self-selects with the will and motivation to push it relentlessly.

(The general attitude of the C++ committee is if no champion emerges for a
proposal that is willing to fix it and address all concerns about it and fight
for it, then the proposal is not worth considering. It works for them.)

If you or anyone else wants to be the champion for deadalnix's idea, I encourage
you to do so. Collaborate here or in any way that works for you. I'm not going
to shut you or anyone down on such discussions. I have already done a review of
it and identified where it needs more work, so the next step is up to you.

(I also did not submit it as a DIP because the DIP process at the time was in
limbo due to Dicebot exiting it. Now that Mike Parker is the new DIP czar,
things should be moving again.)