Walter and Andrei and community relationship management

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 6 12:27:50 PDT 2017

On 4/6/17 1:56 PM, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 April 2017 at 13:55:43 UTC, Olivier FAURE wrote:
>
>> I don't want to make any assumptions, and I do respect Walter for
>> consistently taking on a role that means that people keep criticizing
>> his choices whatever he does, but his approach to dealing with the
>> community is undeniably flawed, and seems to be breeding a lot of
>> frustration and resentment.
>
> IMO the source of the problem is that Walter and Andrei have freedom to
> make any language changes they want, without even consulting the
> community, while everyone else has to put a lot of time into a formal
> proposal with nearly a 100% chance that it will be denied because of
> [insert your favorite reason].

We commit to be more formal about the process, but overall it is correct
that we have more say in what gets in the language. Allow me to add a
couple of things.

First, this is the way things are commonly done in language design - a
small committee defines a formal process and ultimately decides on
features. In fact it is unusual that we put up unfinished ideas up for
discussion, which we hope has the raises the level of responsibility in
the community. I understand how what we did has been misunderstood as us
just considering ourselves exempt from the due process. We have a very
strong interest to follow a formal process and have the trail serve as a
template to follow. (That intent is visible in
https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1005.md as well, with
the unexpected twist of an interesting idea that obsoleted it. The idea
has come from Daniel Nielsen in this forum and has been adapted with
credit in https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1756.)

Second, we are very much open to increasing the size of our committee.
This is already happening - it is obvious that known strong contributors
with a good track record and who make consistently valuable have a huge
impact on the language and library definition. Fortunately we have quite
a few of those. In contrast, our attention is more difficult to be
commanded by commentators who have little history of pull requests,
good-quality DIPs, articles etc. and attempt to strong-arm us into
pursuing underspecified ideas.

Third, all of this is a process not an immutable status. We are learning
leadership on the job, and although I think we have made large strides
since only e.g. one year ago, there is much more to improve. Expect more
changes in the future and please bear with us and grant us your
understanding as we are getting the hang of it.

Andrei