Walter and Andrei and community relationship management

Dibyendu Majumdar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 7 09:21:27 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 6 April 2017 at 07:24:28 UTC, Nick B wrote:
> But, it seems that while Walter and Andrei are prepared to put
> a proposal out on the newsgroup, and then discuss it with the
> community, and then LATER, if its any good,
> state they will formally document it into a DIP.
>
> For the community, it seems different rules apply. In-depth
> news-groups discussions for new proposals are firstly
> encouraged and then later discouraged, with the ultimate
> response that the proposal MUST be in the form of a
> time-consuming DIP, to be considered, even if it will
> ultimately wastes everyone time, and cause resentment in the
> community.

Hi,

I am only familiar with the Lua world from a language design
point of view - in that world, only the Lua core team decide what
features can go into the language. In fact they don't even accept
code contributions - everything is coded by the core team - even
when they accept an idea.

I don't think a language can be designed by a committee. My
impression is that Walter is very decent about replying to
criticisms, even though there is no need in my view for him to do
so.

I would in fact urge the D team to make it explicit that D
language design rests solely Walter and Andrei - and while others
can make suggestions as to what should go in, only Walter and
Andrei decide what actually goes in.

Regards
Dibyendu