Dlang forum: some feature requests

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 9 05:56:48 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 9 April 2017 at 12:45:58 UTC, biocyberman wrote:
> and here he faces overquoting filter, and have to manually
> delete quote text

Snipping irrelevant quoted parts when replying is part of the
normal way to use e-mail and newsgroups, so I don't see a problem
here.

When the forum software detects overquoting, it will offer to
remove excessive quoting automatically (with an undo option).

> so he/she will copy and quote the relevant parts.

If part of the expected workflow of any system involves copying
and pasting, it's a good indicator there is something wrong with
the design.

> Mailing list is one thing, forum is another thing; so making
> the current forum act as both will be difficult.

This has already been done.

> If the interface of a normal forum software is too convoluted,
> the Quest and Answer interface like that of StackOverflow may
> be a good alternative.

The D tag on StackOverflow is monitored by many regulars of these
forums as well, and D-tagged questions get announced to the IRC
channel, so if you prefer that interface, there's no reason to
not simply use StackOverflow.

>>and the forum will warn against
>> this if it detects such an attempt.
> Again, it is user best interests to make the post convey what
> they want to say. A mechanistic enforcement requires much work
> to make sense to human users.

This warning will only be displayed if the user attempts to fight
against the forum software's UI and intentionally uses it in a
way it was not designed to be used. Using it in the proper way
(multiple replies to each post the user wants to reply to) is
easier, and will make the thread easier to read for people
reading the forums by email, a newsgroup client, or using the web
interface in its alternative view modes
(http://forum.dlang.org/help#view-modes).